[wplug] The history of DNS.... Resolvers

Terence Golightly terencejgolightly at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 22:21:05 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I was recently having problems with my DNS resolving and cn open a web page
but I could ping any ip address.  This happened after removing the cludgy
multiboot software.  It left behind "tailings" I'd like to call them.  It
took me a little time to figure out  that qemu had left behind some virtual
interfaces.  After I removed them, I regained some connectivity.  However,
my host name was not resolving.  Apparently, systemd could not resolve any
dns servers and was not seeing my modem's hostname.home.  So when time
allowed, Okay, it was pretty obvious that my rig's DNS resolver was not
configured correctly Duh.  So I began a sojourn, looking to resolvers.
 through my travails, I installed dnsmasq and disabled sustemd-network.
Added Open DNS servers to my fios modem, /var/run/NetworkManager/resolv.conf,
the requisite resolv.conf for dnsmasq and restarted.  Wahla!.  That brings
me to my question,  How many resolvers are there for linux and how do they
play/not play together.  I noticed from posts online that users depending
on their needs us network-manager or dnsmasq or dns-sd (old an apple
program?)  I'm curious,  anybody?  I'm currently running Linux Mint 18.1 on
my desktop.

Regards,

Terry