[wplug] Over My Head with Ubuntu crash. Seeking Hands On or Telephone Help

J.E.K. 88keysdown at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 21:10:04 EDT 2016

Joe Prostko kindly suggested that I seek the kind of help I'm looking for
from the wplug group.

I own a Dell Optiplex GX520 desktop computer. (I'm writing on a
hand-me-down HP Notebook, Linux 17). Ubuntu 15.01 crashed so bad on my Dell
Desktop, that even with careful restoration efforts found in Ubuntu, Wiki,
and Grub forum help topics, I found myself at dead ends well beyond my
level of computer expertise...

I encountered, "Warning! Running in low graphics mode...", Grub rescue
mode... where my "ls" command elicited (hd0) (fd0). I tried booting from a
live CD, which allowed me to run a version 14 along side of my locked up
15. From there, I tried to back up my files onto a separate HD, but I can't
tell if that worked.

Honestly, I'm hoping to cajole a Linux knowledgeable human in the
Pittsburgh area, to visit and work directly with me to rescue my data and
repair or freshly install a Linux OS. Or, I could lug my computer to one of
your appropriate meetings where I could get some hands on help, if someone
will point me to the appropriate meeting.

Of particular importance: saving my music composition datum. I have been
delicately struggling to recover and backup my hard drive for TWO
MONTHS...It's there... I can see it... but I am unable to run or back up
the system.

I really can't do this alone anymore. Anyone willing to step up and help
me, please? Dinner on me!

Thanks,
joe