[wplug] Video issues on Lenovo Thinkpad W520 with Fedora 23

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Wed Jun 15 20:09:31 EDT 2016

So, I have installed Fedora Workstation 23 on a Thinkpad W520, using the
Fedora 23 network install image.  The install worked fine, all went as
expected.  During the install, I set up a disk encryption password,
'cause that is what I'm supposed to do on laptops at the office.  There
were no problems with any of this, and after downloading all the RPMs
and installing them, Fedora 23 was (apparently) ready to go.

Then, I rebooted the laptop to start the newly installed system, GRUB
came up, did the normal countdown, and then booted the kernel.

And then the screen went dark, and it just sat there...

On a hunch, while it was sitting there, I typed the hard drive
encryption password "blind" (without being able to see what was going
on), and hit ENTER.  Lo and behold, the hard drive light started
flashing (the screen is still totally dark at this point), and shortly
thereafter, the screen came on and showed the GNOME display manager, and
I could log in.

On another hunch, I shut down the machine, rebooted it, and when GRUB
came up, typed 'e' to edit the GRUB boot configuration.  At the end of
the options to the kernel, I added "nomodeset", and let it boot.  This
time, it displayed the prompt for the hard drive encryption password.  I
typed it, the kernel started to boot, and I could see the normal kernel
boot messages coming up on the screen, and then the Fedora boot
"progress bar" was displayed. Then it started the display manager, and I
could log in - but the display was all weird, distorted and stretched.
I don't want to use it like that.

After some searching around, it seems that whatever is going on has
something to do with the fact that the W520 has two graphics adapter - a
sort of "normal" Intel integrated graphics controller, and an NVIDIA
GF108 discrete graphics controller.  I think that is confusing GRUB -
though at least GNOME and/or Xorg knows how to deal with it, so things
are OK once the desktop is running. Searching on the web led me to an
understanding (at least partially) of the problem - but I didn't find
anything that seemed to be a solution of any kind...

Is there any reasonable way to make this work better?  I mean, I guess I
can just type the disk encryption password "blind" (since I know what
it's expecting), and if there are any problems with booting at any
point, I can boot with the "nomodeset" option so I can then see the
kernel messages and such.  But it would be nice if it actually worked
the way it was supposed to, all the time. ;-)

--Pat.