[wplug] Leaving the area

Drew from Zhrodague drewzhrodague at zhrodague.net
Tue Jan 5 11:08:56 EST 2016

> I will say this, though: there /are/ IT jobs in Pittsburgh. However, you need to be either
> impossible qualified or impractically flexible in order to attain most of them. For
> instance, most local job listings either list a dazzling array of qualifications that
> disqualify most people short of industry veterans, or the originating company expects
> you to revolve your life around work.

	Industry veteran of 20 years here. The best thing I've done for my
career, was to leave Pittsburgh - each of three times. I fault the
small-mindedness of some of our older and no-longer-existing businesses.
Lots of that has changed over the years, and I see more tech companies
than ever in the Pittsburgh area.

	My tip: Leave no stone unturned. LinkedIn and Indeed are my go-to
job-hunting tools. And the PTC's job site is full of lies.

> Heh, if I had more time, I might even be tempted to give a seminar on what it means
> to look for IT work in the Pittsburgh area. If anyone reading this still has questions or
> needs guidance on their job search, contact me off-list, and I'd be happy to help.

	I also have a LOT to say about jobs and hiring in the Pittsburgh area,
and I'm happy to help. Is wplug-jobs a better forum for this kind of
discussion? I usually pipe-up there.

--

Drew from Zhrodague
post-apocalyptic ad-hoc industrialist