[wplug] GNOME 3 Now

Joe Prostko joe.prostko at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:46:50 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 12:23 PM, <justin at adminix.net> wrote:

> I tried GNOME 3 again out of curiosity, and...I really like it! On the
> whole, it feels more polished than Plasma; things like Online Accounts
> work right out of the box, and the applications, while somewhat limited,
> fit my stated preferences perfectly as simple programs that do simple
> things.

I haven't tried the online accounts aspect, but admit that is something
that interested me.  I may have to check out what exactly utilizing that
will buy me.

> It does take time to adjust to not being able to minimize windows, but
> I've found that the more I use it, the more I like using separate
> workspaces to manage my programs instead. It's very neat and
> orderly...and there are great keyboard shortcuts for window
> manipulation!

Indeed, I love my workspaces.  I generally set up 12 and just put one
application per workspace.  While I rarely use more than half of them, in
my mind I know where I put certain apps, so can always switch just to what
I want without thinking about it.  A lot of people like multiple monitors,
but if given the choice between 2 or 3 monitors or the ability to switch
workspaces, I'd choose the ability to switch workspaces every time.

> I'm curious if anyone else who once loathed GNOME 3 has tried it
> recently.

I have tried it recently, and while I still don't really like it, I'd have
no problem using it over something like KDE.  For home use, XFCE is still
my favorite (only if it is themed well though), MATE would be my second
choice, and Cinnamon would be my third choice.

- joe