[wplug] GNOME 3 Now

justin at adminix.net justin at adminix.net
Thu Apr 28 12:23:10 EDT 2016

I've been using KDE Plasma for years because I didn't like the changes
that GNOME 3 tried to make. I started off on OpenSUSE KDE and then
switched to Fedora KDE since I got a couple of Red Hat certifications
and wanted to be able to use what I learned.

More recently, Plasma started to seem like more than I needed. I've
started using the command line for a lot more than I used to, so I found
that when using a GUI, I expected it to be simple and straightforward
instead of wading through a bunch of menus and settings that I'll
probably use.

I tried GNOME 3 again out of curiosity, and...I really like it! On the
whole, it feels more polished than Plasma; things like Online Accounts
work right out of the box, and the applications, while somewhat limited,
fit my stated preferences perfectly as simple programs that do simple
things.

It does take time to adjust to not being able to minimize windows, but
I've found that the more I use it, the more I like using separate
workspaces to manage my programs instead. It's very neat and
orderly...and there are great keyboard shortcuts for window
manipulation!

I'm curious if anyone else who once loathed GNOME 3 has tried it
recently.

--

JUSTIN SMITH
Linux System Administrator