[wplug] Is anyone out there using Linux on a Lenovo IdeaPad 100S?

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Mon Nov 30 09:46:46 EST 2015

This particular IdeaPad is actually much closer to a tablet than an
actual laptop - in particular, it has no hard drive.  Mass storage is
entirely eMMC flash (which I still haven't determined if it can be
expanded), there's no place to put a "real" hard drive.  I still haven't
figured out if the 32GB eMMC flash drive can be replaced/upgraded - some
of the reading I've done indicates that eMMC flash drives are typically
soldered directly to the system board.

The plus side is, it's really tiny, and it's really light.  It's tiny
and light enough that I could literally carry this around anywhere I go,
without much hassle, just like I carry my Nexus 7 tablet most places
with me.  And no heavy power adapter to carry around with it, because it
charges from USB (and I carry a USB power adapter with me anyway).  And
it's cheap, in comparison to a full-function laptop.

On the other hand ... I definitely hear you about the workmanship of
Lenovo's consumer-oriented products.  And even though it's cheap, it's
still expensive enough ($179+tax on Cyber Monday sale, direct from
Lenovo) that I'm not really enthusiastic about saying, "Well, I'll try
it, and if it breaks in the first 3 months, oh well - just chalk it up
as a failed experiment....".  It's also sort of a bummer that it maxes
out at 2 GB RAM.  But it would be enough to run Firefox, Thunderbird,
and an IRC client, and that's about all I would want such a machine
for.  The fact that all of the usual Linux functionality would be
available too would be a great bonus, though I probably wouldn't want to
try to use LibreOffice or Eclipse on it....

I'm still hesitant, especially after doing a bit more research. Reports
seem to be that Linux can be installed, but that doing so is ... well, a
bit of a process.  Like this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/684041/ubuntu-debian-on-a-lenovo-ideapad-100s-linux-has-issues-with-this-laptop

It also appears that Linux - or, at least, Ubuntu - doesn't have drivers
for the Lenovo proprietary wireless adapter in the machine, so you end
up having to add a separate USB wireless dongle.  And, various things
related to power management don't work right.

I'm still on the fence about it.  I guess I have the rest of the day to
decide, at least for the sale price.  Which is, admittedly, only about
$20 cheaper than the regular price, so even if I were to get it later
the price difference is negligible.