[wplug] OpenSUSE: New CentOS Competitor?

justin at adminix.net justin at adminix.net
Mon Nov 9 12:32:27 EST 2015

I know that most of you probably don't follow OpenSUSE, so if you
haven't heard, there was a new release just recently: OpenSUSE Leap
42.1. That's right: 42.1, when the last release was 13.2. What changed?

When I was a total OpenSUSE fanatic, people often asked me why there
wasn't a CentOS equivalent for SUSE Enterprise Linux. Well, the good
folks on the OpenSUSE project must have agreed, because from now on,
OpenSUSE "Leap" (i.e. 42.1) will use source straight from SUSE
Enterprise Linux, while OpenSUSE Tumbleweed will use the very latest
packages and be comparable to Fedora for Red Hat.

This means that instead of new releases every 9 months, each release of
OpenSUSE Leap will be supported for 36 months. Leap will receive a point
update each year in keeping with SUSE Enterprise Linux's service
packages. It is, in effect, now SUSE's CentOS.

Despite this level of added stability, it will seat somewhere between
CentOS in Fedora in terms of new packages. It's a really interesting
design choice, and I for one am definitely planning to check it out.

If you'd like to read more about this, check out OpenSUSE's official
article [1].
--

JUSTIN SMITH
Linux System Administrator