[wplug] PFSense, load-balance router setup on old hardware.

Drew from Zhrodague drewzhrodague at zhrodague.net
Tue Mar 31 19:03:17 EDT 2015

On 3/31/15 4:15 PM, Doug Green wrote:
> Thank you Drew! Very helpful- I will get to work learning a bit about
> what you recommend. On a "nuts and bolts" level, what hardware are
> you using in your setup? If I want say, 8 RJ-45 jacks for wiring in
> my home, do I need to buy equivalent number ethernet cards (and have
> a huge PCI bus on my motherboard), or is there an easier way to
> achieve that? Thanks again!

	I like to have simple things setup, so my network looks like this:

	eth0: Internet (FiOS)
	eth1: Local networking + pittmesh
	eth2: Internet (Comcast)

	eth1 is plugged into an El Cheapo 8-port gig-e switch, with a 16-port
10/100 switch chained for most of everything else. The local WiFi AP is
plugged into the gig-e switch to allow AC and N speeds. The pittmesh
WiFi mesh dishes I just plug into the 10/100, as they're 10/100 anyway -
just like both HDHR tuners, laser printer, and IP phones, TV, etc. Wow,
my house is networked better than the last 4 offices I worked at - cool.

	There may be a DVD install distribution to turn a junk PC into a
Linux-based router. I think a couple of the other responders may suggest
something easy. In my case, I just use the RHEL that's out, and setup
the pieces that I need - I do it manually. Some of the installer distros
may make it a lot easier to configure.

	FiOS note: You do NOT need to use their router, you just call them to
light the ethernet port instead.

	pittmesh: http://www.pittmesh.net/

--

Drew from Zhrodague