[wplug] Teaching 9th-12th High School students about Linux

John Lewis oflameo2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 21:23:27 EST 2015

I am in, which means both WPLUG and Hack Pittsburgh has some interest. I
will forward this email to their mailing list to see if anyone else over
there wants to get in on this, because a couple of us wants to start
teaching some Raspberry Pi stuff. In fact I was just got finished making
a network cable for my B+.

This touches me especially, because I was introduced to Linux's
existence in High School in the first place.

I have some issues with your curriculum. First of all you are not even
going to cover GNU, even though it is the userland of the whole system,
the system they are using. Not teaching that would leave a typical
government school gap in knowledge.

I would also want to be more practical and tech the students about ssh
and web services before teaching them about particular services like
Wikipedia and Google Drive.

Sorry, Dave I am not going to reply to you privately because there is
nothing scheduled for April yet.