[wplug] Need to protect my websites with a corporation

John Lewis oflameo2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 21:02:35 EST 2015

On 03/07/2015 08:11 PM, Mike Semcheski wrote:
> Apologies for the late reply here... I tend to go through my personal email
> every other month these days.
>
> I don't know the back story here - something about Joomla and VPS's and
> quango's of shady government contractors.  John is concerned about
> retribution for a website he's putting together.  Seems like discussing
> this on a (potentially) Google indexed mailing list (
> http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2015-January/035510.html) may not be
> the best course of action if discretion is the key.
>
> If you're most deeply concerned about personal retribution, then the one
> good option you have is to QUIT WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD. There's no anonymity on
> the internet, whether behind a registrar's anonymizer or incorporation.
>
> Otherwise, your best bet is to put all the code on github.  If everything
> that is needed to implement your muckraking is freely available, then if
> there is retribution, either personal, technical or legal, well the horse
> is already out of the barn.  Someone else can recreate what you've built.
>
> Really just replying because I'm curious how the whole thing turned out.

I am not going to quit documenting the government. I don't need to be
anonymous and I don't bother to try. All of the code will be on github,
mainly because I am going to need it there to extend the PHP code so it
works better with Postgresql
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=715&t=874648
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=715&t=874665.  I am going to
design the site so that the data is also easy to export and import and
not tied to Joomla so it will be easy to repost or redirect the data.

I still want to build barriers (personal, technical and legal) even if
they are knee high because it keep the opportunists out, and would help
me screen for people I want to get the attention of in the first place.