[wplug] Xubuntu on PCs - Why Computer Reach uses Linux

John Lewis oflameo2 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 07:36:52 EDT 2015

On 06/13/2015 03:30 AM, Dave Sevick wrote:
> Xubuntu on PCs
> Why Computer Reach uses Linux
> The Xubuntu team interviews Kevin Driscoll, PC/Linux Technical
> Consultant at Computer Reach about their use of Xubuntu in their
> organization, why they chose to deploy open source software and some
> of the details about how they go about deploying Xubuntu. Kevin
> concludes: "If you think about the tremendous variety of brands and
> models of computers made in that time frame, it is astounding how many
> combinations of equipment our (often non-technical) volunteers run
> into. Yet after a quick PXE-boot, Clonezilla automated script runs on
> those computers, it will reboot into a completely operational Linux
> environment is amazing! Xubuntu is so resilient to be able to run,
> without prompt for drivers, on so many different kinds of PC's!"
>
> http://xubuntu.org/news/xubuntu-at-computer-reach/ <http://computerreach.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=291f653ca7df2401d672ded90&id=80bd30c1f7&e=b902906019>

I know this suppose to be an ad post, but I am going to reply to it anyways.

According to DistroWatch
<http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20150525#poll> XFCE and KDE are
tied to be the preferred desktop environment right now. I use XFCE on
all of my graphical computers, including my Raspberry Pi's after I
rebuild the image for them. I have been XFCE for since Debian 7.

Why are you using an Canonical developed OS. If you are getting funding
from them, great, you should still use it. If you are not getting
funding, I think you are better off moving to Debian Jessie, to avoid
Canonical's Not Invented Here Syndrome from screwing with your process.

Also, why do you never coordinate anything with WPLUG!?! The only time I
hear something from you, you either wan to take one of us for keeps or
want to sell us something. I would love to sponsor a co-event at Hack
Pittsburgh and sponsor you. We have Internet, and lots of power
connections, and software developers, electronic engineers, and
sysadmins hanging out there all of the time. Hack Pittsburgh even has a
meetup page <http://www.meetup.com/HackPittsburgh/> to advertise. I am
trying to buy what you are selling, but I need you to close on a deal,
please.