[wplug] New FCC Rules May Prevent Installing OpenWRT on WiFi Routers

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Wed Jul 29 14:49:25 EDT 2015

One of the issues I have with this is that U-NII devices (e.g., 5GHz
Wi-Fi) have to be locked down to prevent loading any custom firmware at
all (they specifically mention DD-WRT as something the manufacturers
have to prevent being loaded).  That is in the other attachment
(https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=1UiSJRK869RsyQddPi5hpw%3D%3D&desc=594280%20D02%20U-NII%20Device%20Security%20v01r02&tracking_number=39498).
I may actually file a comment about that, myself.

Aside from that - yeah, what's required is that the manufacturer's
prevent modifiability that would allow the device to operate outside of
the authorized frequency ranges and power levels, as a condition of
their Part 15 certification.  And that's not an unusual requirement.
The requirement is there because, to be blunt, enough people do it that
it's a problem.  For instance, I've seen a number of posts of people
bragging that they have modified their Wi-Fi gear to operate on channel
14 (e.g., to try to escape interference from other Wi-Fi networks in
crowded areas), which is prohibited in the US.  In fact, in the US, that
frequency is allocated to other uses. Channels 12 and 13 have max power
output levels (because those frequencies are shared with other users),
that people try to circumvent.  Who cares if you're interfering with an
authorized user, on a frequency you have no authorization to use, or
because you're using a power level you're not authorized to use..
Regulations like this don't appear out of a vacuum - they happen when
the FCC sees a problem, and they find that it's much easier to go after
the manufacturers to deal with it than to find the "needle in a
haystack" individual users who are causing the problems.

Most of the requirements can be accomplished by splitting out the
firmware for the OS and the baseband (which is what many cellphones do),
or by using a radio chipset that has separate firmware where
modification is prevented.  Whether manufacturers would actually do that
is open to debate.  Particularly with consumer gear, they're selling
hardware - the software is not a profit center for them, so they do it
as quickly and cheaply as they possibly can.

I'm not too concerned about this, myself (aside from the outright
blanket prohibition on third-party firmware on U-NII devices).  If it's
really a concern, the solution is to buy a router without a radio (like
one of the Mikrotik routers) which therefore doesn't need Part 15
certification, buy a separate radio that will plug into it (that's
typically sold as something other than a "radio", so it too evades Part
15 certification), and go to town with DD-WRT.

--Pat.