[wplug] New FCC Rules May Prevent Installing OpenWRT on WiFi Routers

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Wed Jul 29 14:39:02 EDT 2015

Has this really been a problem, or are you putting out hypothetical reasons for locking down firmware? I'm not aware of any issue in this regard.

I'm admittedly not an expert, but the max power of the radio should be a function of the hardware (I do understand that software can limit output, but I'm saying the hardware "is what it is" and no software is going to increase what the hardware is capable of). FCC should (and does) regulate output by radios/antennae, but should stay the hell out of trying to legislate software/firmware.