[wplug] Printer tracking dots

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Tue Feb 24 12:59:31 EST 2015

Even if it's been around for years, how many people actually know about it?
Nobody I've talked to so far has known about this.

You're correct that the tracking dots were /designed/ as an anti-
counterfeiting measure, but there are no legal restrictions on what the
tracking dots can be used for. And even if there were legal restrictions, I'm
sure there would be plenty of exceptions for "national security" and such.

This remains an excellent example of why open source matters: so that
users can control their products and not the other way around.

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 12:40:14 PM Ben Beige wrote:
> It is am anti counterfeiting measure that has been around for years, was
> really designd for color copiers but has carried on into printers too.

*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator