[wplug] [wplug-plan] Why is there no rebuild of SLES?

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Wed Feb 11 13:33:11 EST 2015

As I understand, the powers that be consider OpenSUSE to be SUSE's
equivalent of CentOS even though it's really more similar to Fedora.
OpenSUSE Factory is similar to Fedora Rawhide, while OpenSUSE releases
are somewhere between Fedora and CentOS in terms of features and
stability.

Novell /does/ release source RPMs for SLES, but they aren't used in a
source rebuild because SLES's community is much smaller and focuses on
integration with proprietary software. Remember how Novell made that
infamous licensing deal with Microsoft?

OpenSUSE is a good steward of the community, though. It contributes time
and development resources to crucial resources in the FOSS community
such as LibreOffice and KDE.

This doesn't really have anything to do with organizational planning, so if
you'd like to continue this conversation, let's keep it here on the main
mailing list instead of wplug-plan.