[wplug] PFSense, load-balance router setup on old hardware.

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Thu Apr 2 13:23:09 EDT 2015

Hi Matt,
Thank you for the generous offer! And thanks to the group for all of the helpful responses. I should probably close the loop on this subject: basically I was being a bone-head and totally over complicating my issue. I simply needed to add a switch.

Yeah, dumb, but the response that drove it home for me was "do you need to add another NETWORK or just MORE PORTS". Indeed, I am actually Consolidating two networks which is why I ran out of ports. A simple switch solves the problem. Duh. Static IP routing on my internal network doesn't require a one-to-one network connection to the router.

PFSense still looks like a worthwhile project, and many people's responses have been along the lines of "much more reliable and configurable than a purchased router". I will definitely explore it more after I get my little home network and automation projects out of the way.

Thanks all!!
-D