[wplug] Any Suggestions For Password Managers?

Lawrence Wolfson oclarry44 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 06:52:36 EDT 2014

I am new to linux.  I
tried loading a mint last Fall and, even with great help from folks at the
meeting at the Wilkins School Community Center, I never got it to work
correctly.   This spring, I was able to
load Mint 17 (Qiana) with Cinnamon and it works well.  And I still have
the excellent responses to my mailinglist questions from last Fall and plan to
revisit those now that linux makes more sense to me.

However, now I my issue is
with getting a password manager forfirefox.   I choose KeePass2 because
there are enough variation in login sequences among my sites that I thought to
use the URL-overrides.  Since KeeFormFF doesn’t work on linux, I have gone
thru a couple of alternatives but am now stuck.

I tried URL-overrides using
scripts in python/webbrowser and then in shell script/xdotools.   I can
see that, although firefox is invoked and displayed, the window does not remain
(or never was) active.  KeePass2 remains the active window.  There is
some documentation that if firefox is not the active window, it rejects any
events directed to it.  I tried capturing the firefox window id and using
it in xdotool command chaining but that still did not work.
I am also limited because
of my limited knowledge of the scripting tools that I mentioned.  The documentation that I have found is not
thorough and I have to experiment to find a syntax that works..

So I am back to square one. But am I also out in left field
somewhere?  What password managers are linux users finding effective.
Is it possible to use KeePass2?  If so, how?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry Wolfson