[wplug] The Great Mac Giveaway

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Tue Oct 14 21:08:49 EDT 2014

It isn't that the Macs we have /can't/ run OS X; they just can't run any
/remotely modern/ version of OS X. The most recent version that any of
them support is Snow Leopard, which hasn't been officially supported for
some time now. If that's your cup of tea, you're more than welcome to try
it.

Ubuntu still produces PowerPC releases. It also makes a special "Mac"
edition of the usual x86-64 ISOs that's designed for better compatibility
with the...er, /special/ implementation of EFI that Macs use.

Download Ubuntu 14.04.1[1]
Download Ubuntu 12.04.5[2]

There is a helpful collection of Mac-related information[3] on the Ubuntu
wiki. Some of the information is outdated, but much of it, in my experience,
applies to current releases.

Here's the quick and dirty version of how I prepare a Mac for Ubuntu:

* Boot into OSX
* Install the rEFInd boot manager with the --alldrivers flag so that the Mac
is able to recognize Ubuntu's Mac edition ISOs.
* Reboot; load the Ubuntu CD.
* Install Ubuntu. If you decide to keep using rEFInd, make sure that you
boot into BIOS compatibility mode, especially if you're using a Mac that
uses an nVidia GPU. Apparently, nVidia's drivers will throw a fit if you
attempt to EFI boot on certain models.

I wouldn't dream of using Ubuntu if I had any other option, but the Ubuntu
community has done a darn good job of supporting Macs. Even more
encouraging is that there are a number of individuals at Pittsburgh
Filmmakers who are open to trying Ubuntu - and, by extension, free
software.

--
*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not;
nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will
not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is
full of educated derelicts."/

/-Calvin Coolidge/

> storage

> opportunity to take

Linux. You

> Any Mac too old to run OSX is not Intel based --even the oldest Intel ones
> will run earlier OSX versions.  Running Windows on them would only be
> possible using Parallels or another emulation package and newer
Windows