[wplug] OnePlus One contest

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Fri Oct 3 14:16:56 EDT 2014

Yeah, their earlier marketing campaigns were kind of...stupid. I've used
Nexus devices for several years now, so I think I'm fairly qualified to talk
about them in comparison with the OnePlus One.

Nexus devices are great because they are cheap, have good developer
support, and receive guaranteed updates straight from Google. On the
other hand, they all seem to suffer from similar design flaws: limited
internal storage, poor battery life, and abysmal sound quality. Whether
you're talking about the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, or Nexus 5, that holds
true.

The OnePlus One is cheap, has decent developer support, and receives
guaranteed updates straight from Cyanogen. I would be more excited
about the updates if Cyanogen hadn't abandoned the Android community
by going proprietary and mistreating its community contributors.

(CyanogenMod 11s, the version that comes with the OnePlus One, is /not/
open source. I think that CyanogenMod 11s is to CyanogenMod 11 what
Chrome is to Chromium.)

The screen is difficult to see in direct sunlight. The reception is noticeably
weaker than my previous devices, but some people seem to think that this
is software issue that can be fixed. The camera on mine seems to produce
a /lot/ of image noise. Those are my pet peeves.

There are many good qualities, though. The battery life is considerably
better than my Nexus devices. The sound quality is /worlds/ better: the twin
speakers put out good sound, and the OPO uses a Yamaha DAC that puts
its headphone quality well above most competitors. It's lightning-fast, and
the storage capacity will never leave you wanting for more.

Ultimately, there are going to be sacrifices at this price. It's just a matter
of which ones you're comfortable with. Nexus devices lack internal storage,
battery life, and sound quality. The OnePlus One lacks sunlight visibility and
reception. Both have lousy cameras.

-Justin

On Friday, October 03, 2014 01:16:36 PM Kevin Dunn wrote:
> Do you like the phone? I received an invite last week after waiting.......
> I let it expire, not sure I liked the marketing campaign.  I have a little
> regret, decided to wait for Nexus 6. Curious if you like the device.
>
> Kevin
>
> On Oct 3, 2014 9:51 AM, "Eric Wood" <esw148 at cawunited.com> wrote:
> > Wow, unfortunately all of the invites are already gone as of 4 minutes
> > ago.
> > That was quick
> >
> > Eric

*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us
communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where
they allow only monopoly."/
/-Richard Stallman/