[wplug] linux on a Mac Mini without OSX

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 21 10:47:52 EST 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:51:10 -0500
Eric Cooper <ecc at cmu.edu> wrote:

> If you have or can borrow a Mac running OSX, you might be able to boot
> the Mini in target disk mode (http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1661)
> and manipulate its disk that way.

Wow... target disk mode... that's a blast from the past. I think I
still have a target-disk-mode SCSI cable sitting around here
somewhere.  (TDM is Firewire these days)

I vaguely remember reading somewhere years ago, that the target
computer in a target-disk-mode setup needs to be running Mac OSX,
because the target computer actually boots into a special runlevel (or
whatever OSX calls it) of OSX to do it.
I also (even more vaguely) remember seeing something in the Darwin
source code about that.