[wplug] FSF condemns partnership between Mozilla and Adobe to support DRM

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Thu May 15 09:59:24 EDT 2014

In case you haven't heard, Mozilla has agreed to implement Adobe's
browser-based digital restrictions management (DRM) in Firefox. When
Firefox users encounter DRM-restricted content, Firefox will now offer to
install Adobe's DRM, making the process quick and easy.

The Mozilla Foundation's mission is to support an open Internet. This
does the exact opposite; it puts Mozilla in the company of organizations
like Google that are only committed to FOSS when it's convenient for
them. Just because Mozilla has been a good steward of free software in
the past doesn't excuse this poor decision, so I hope you'll join me in
voicing your concerns.

For a complete account of the situation and links to how you can make
yourself heard, check out the Free Software Foundation's recent press
release[1].

If we don't speak up, Mozilla might start behaving like a typical politician:
"I sold out so that I can continue to represent your interests." That leaves
us with two choices: organizations that embrace DRM (Apple &
Microsoft) or organizations that "reluctantly" support DRM (Mozilla). No
matter which one we pick, we lose in the end. That's not an outcome I'm
happy with.

--
*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees.
That'll do them in!"/
/-Author Unknown/

--------
[1] https://u.fsf.org/xk