[wplug] A silly question about yum(8)

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Mon Mar 31 11:22:29 EDT 2014

It's been a while, but I just wanted to circle back on this to mention
the eventual resolution.

Gary's suggestion was absolutely correct - the package names being
displayed in bold were already downloaded (and ready for immediate
installation).  It turns out that this happens because when PackageKit
checks for updates, it automatically downloads the updates in the
background before it displays the pop-up informing the user that updates
are available.  I wasn't seeing this all the time because I normally run
"yum update" from the command line every couple of days, so typically
PackageKit doesn't have a chance to do this by itself before I update
manually.  But if I go a week or so without updating (long enough for
PackageKit to do it's check) and get the pop-up, and then later run "yum
update" manually, the updates that PackageKit previously found (and
already downloaded) are displayed in bold.  Any updates that became
available after PackageKit ran it's check are not displayed in bold, and
are downloaded during the update process.  But the packages displayed in
bold aren't downloaded because they're already in yum's cache, they just
need to be installed.

Mystery solved.  ;-)

--Pat.