[wplug] [wplug-announce] Reset the Net

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Wed Jun 4 21:44:42 EDT 2014

Tomorrow, WPLUG, along with likeminded organizations such as the Free
Software Foundation (FSF), the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), and
DuckDuckGo, will participate in Reset the Net[1], a campaign to literally
reset the way we use the Internet in the post-Snowden era.

Nobody is immune to scrutiny from the NSA surveillance machine. Thanks
to document disclosures from Edward Snowden, we know that the US
government is building profiles of people's private lives in the name of
"national security." As Orwellian as it sounds, it's true: Big Brother is
watching you.

Fortunately, there is something you can do about it. You can use open
source software to protect your personal information. We'll show you how.
>From your computer to your smartphone, protect it all. Even if that doesn't
stop the NSA, you'll make its job a whole lot less pleasant. There's no room
for government backdoors in peer-reviewed code.

Tomorrow, visit ResetTheNet.org[2] or WPLUG's site[3] to learn how you can
use open source software to protect your privacy. If you're interested in a
more hands-on security event where we go over this stuff in-person, be
sure to let the WPLUG board[4] know. We're still planning our event
schedule for the summer.

Don't ask for your privacy. Take it back.

--
*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"Any fool can use a computer. Many do."/

--------
[1] https://www.resetthenet.org/
[2] https://www.resetthenet.org
[3] http://www.wplug.org