[wplug] OT cell phone help

Janos Dohanics web at 3dresearch.com
Mon Jun 2 11:25:54 EDT 2014

On Fri, 16 May 2014 17:01:45 -0400
Pat Barron <pat at lectroid.com> wrote:

> Agreed, easiest way to transfer contacts is probably to make sure
> they're on the SIM card.
>
> Phone has USB, but it looks like you need Sony's "Media Manager"
> software (which only runs on Windows, of course...) to use USB to
> move data (photos and music) to/from a computer.
>
> I had to pull some photos off of a low-end flip phone phone like this
> a while back, and what I found is that I was able to use Bluetooth to
> pair the phone with my laptop (which also has Bluetooth) and copy the
> files over that way.  According to the user guide, this phone also
> supports this type of file transfer via Bluetooth.  It's very slow,
> but may be the path of least resistance for recovering whatever music
> and photos are on the phone. Assuming, of course, you can keep the
> phone running for long enough to do the transfer before it shuts down
> randomly.  The biggest advantage is that this way doesn't require you
> to install any additional software - as long as the computer you're
> sending the data to has Bluetooth, and can transfer files over
> Bluetooth, you're all set.
>
> User guide for this phone is here, if that helps you:
>
> http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/tm506/userguide_AE_TM506_1208-0969.1.pdf

It turns out that Sony's "Media Manager" is no longer available on the
Sony Ericson web site (or anywhere else, as far as I can tell searching
Google). There is a successor of the "Media Manager", but that software
says my phone is not compatible with it.

I managed to connect the phone to a Windows computer with USB, and I
could see folders, but none of them contained the text messages. I can
see the text messages in the phone, though.

Does someone on the list have the expertise I need, or recommend a local
service provider?

--
Janos Dohanics