[wplug] Tox

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Mon Jul 28 12:43:35 EDT 2014

Hey, have any of you been following Tox[1]? It's a free and open source
alternative to Skype.

It's easy for the NSA to listen in on services like Skype because the
messages people send have to go through a corporation's servers
before they are delivered to the other person's computer. Tox is
decentralized: your conversations go directly to the other person's
computer. As a bonus, it requires no configuration: you just install Tox
and you're ready to go.

I didn't realize this, but apparently, Tox had its alpha release a few
weeks ago. You can grab a copy from the official download page[2].

Tox isn't too difficult to figure out. You can click the "Tox User" field in bold
to set your username, and click the "Toxing on Venom 0.2.0" to set your
status. In order to chat with other Tox users, they need to know your Tox
ID. You can get this by clicking on the green circle and choosing *Copy
ID to Clipboard*. You can then paste it where necessary.

My Tox ID is
578A4698A4C1A6E97AB08BDBB9D29BB0D207B10928156D007FA0B
74A3A7AA841B022B3F6BF2D

To add someone to your contact list, click the *+* sign at the bottom of
the Tox window. If you'd like to chat, send me a message! Let's help the
Tox developers build a communication network for the post-Snowden
era.

--
*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees.
That'll do them in!"/
/-Author Unknown/

--------
[1] https://www.tox.im