[wplug] [wplug-announce] July Meeting pre-announcement - presentation on distributed version control systems and Git

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Thu Jul 3 11:36:38 EDT 2014

Hi folks,

I've been meaning for the last couple of days to send out an
announcement for our July meeting, which will be taking place on
Saturday July 12th @ 2:00pm - I haven't gotten a chance to put together
a proper wiki page for this meeting yet, but I wanted to make sure to
get the meeting topic and date out there before any more time passed, so
that people could reserve the time on their calendars.

For our July meeting, Charles Butler will be presenting on distributed
version control systems and Git.  We'll have a more detailed outline of
the presentation available on the wiki in the coming days.  The
presentation will include practical examples of the use of Git, and if
you bring a laptop with you (with Git installed....), you'll be able to
follow along with the examples in real-time.

This meeting will be taking place at IBM's office on Murray Avenue in
Squirrel Hill; I'll have the exact address and directions on the wiki
soon.  The meeting location is convenient to public transportation, and
on-street and paid parking lot parking is readily available in the
area.  There will be an Eventbrite RSVP which you can optionally
complete to let us know you're coming, but RSVP is not mandatory, it's
fine to just show up - with one exception....  If you want WiFi access
at the meeting site, you *must* complete the RSVP at least 24 hours in
advance of the meeting - the meeting site has guest WiFi access
available, but access is secured, and everyone using the WiFi must be
registered for an individual username and password.  Registration for
WiFi access will not be available on-site, you must register in
advance.  (Well, I mean, I can *try* to register you on site, but the
registrations sometimes take a few hours to go through the system, so
it's possible the meeting could be over by the time your access gets
activated....)

There will be more information, and a link to a meeting announcement and
presentation outline on the wiki, soon.

--Pat.