[wplug] Verizon vs Comcast

Bobbie Lynn Eicher bobbie.eicher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 19:12:57 EST 2014

If you can contemplate switching to a competing service, there clearly
isn't "NO COMPETITION".

There's certainly insufficient competition in the cable arena, and the
level of Internet provider competition could use something of a boost too.

There are times when setting up monopolies actually makes a certain amount
of economic sense, and other times when they clearly end up leading to high
prices and poor service. Meanwhile, unions really have nothing to do with
the rest of your complaint.

Most likely, even a company with a lot of competition wouldn't change out a
(probably expensive) piece of equipment if they felt it was making exactly
one customer unhappy. (I have no idea if other people are negatively
affected or not, or what the scale and nature of the problem is, but I do
know that there are times when what one person is paying on their bill
isn't enough to make it worth the expense of doing whatever it takes to fix
that issue.)

Your aggravation is completely understandable. Certainly, if you're not
getting service that's up to what you feel you're paying for, you should
call Comcast and ask them to set you up so that you can use their competing
service. Depending on your exact location and needs, satellite and
wireless/cellular Internet providers may also be viable options.