[wplug] Verizon vs Comcast

Rob tempest766 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 11 10:43:11 EST 2014

On Tue, 2/11/14, Florin Manolache <florinmano at gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [wplug] Verizon vs Comcast
 To: "General user list" <wplug at wplug.org>
 Date: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 7:38 AM

 Rob,

 In my opinion, even if the real bottleneck is on Cogent's
 network,
 still it is the duty of Verizon to find a way around the
 problem
 because I pay them not Cogent for the bandwidth.

Actually it's not there responsibility.  That's a consequence of a distributed InterNet where no one entity manages or controls the network.  That wouldn't change if you voted with your wallet and dumped verizon.

 When you say that you get similar results to me, what
 exactly are you
 referring to?
 My results show in the first case a 5 second download, in
 the second
 case a 6 minute download, there is a two orders of
 magnitude
 difference in speed between the two of them, which one did
 you get?

Similar results to you...full speed to your test file during the day and about 18% throughput at 10pm in the evening.  My route involved one jump through a cogentco gateway.

 Well, move to COMCAST if you like but they are well known to have the worst customer service of any provider in the USA...and I'm not endorsing Verizon here either.  As I said before, if network providers were regulated as public utilities and as common carriers then the problems you describe would be better dealt with.

-Rob