[wplug] Fedora 21 is suppose to be released today

Vance Kochenderfer vance at happylemur.com
Wed Dec 10 01:52:22 EST 2014

Rob <tempest766 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Another "feature" of Fedora is their hardlined insistence on adhering
> to the GPL mandates.  The good news is that all the great software we
> love that doesn't meet Fedora's "intense" licensing standards can be
> found in the rpmfusion repository.  Want to use stuff with a BSD or
> MIT license, or stuff written by programmers who don't worship
> Stallman?  Well, it's probably not delivered directly with Fedora,
> but can quickly be found in the rpmfusion repository.

Just want to point out that the BSD license (two-clause and
three-clause) and MIT license (a.k.a. X11 license) are Free Software
licenses, fully accepted by the Free Software Foundation/GNU project
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SoftwareLicenses>.  As
such, they are fine in Fedora.  Only proprietary software, or software
that is covered by patents or other legal encumbrances, is excluded
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items>.

> I complain about it, but in my mind Fedora is really the only game in
> town for my needs: bleeding edge code, literally thousands and
> thousands of packages I might need, and quickly integrated support
> for newer hardware.

You may also want to consider a rolling-release distribution if you want
the very latest software.  Distrowatch recently did an interesting
series of articles comparing their experience with Arch, Debian sid,
OpenSUSE Factory, PC-BSD, and PCLinuxOS over five weeks.
<http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20141013#feature>
<http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20141020#qa>
<http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20141027#rolling>
<http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20141103#rolling>
<http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20141110#rolling>

I like things to be conservative and stable, so I can't give you any
personal recommendations.  :)

vance at happylemur.com      |   good belt of Scotch"    -Nick Danger