[wplug] Fedora 21 is suppose to be released today

Rob tempest766 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 01:11:57 EST 2014

Any other Fedora masochists (I mean users) in the group?

For those not in the know, and at the risk of starting a flame war, Fedora is the incubator for the Redhat commercial linux distribution.  All the newer stuff and the cutting edge patches that go into the RHEL product are tested on the unsuspecting Internet crowd through the Fedora project.  We get subjected to stuff like systemd, pulse-audio, nouveau, wayland, the latest "broken" GNome desktop, and other untested, undocumented packages guaranteed to drive coffee drinkers insane.  Another "feature" of Fedora is their hardlined insistence on adhering to the GPL mandates.  The good news is that all the great software we love that doesn't meet Fedora's "intense" licensing standards can be found in the rpmfusion repository.  Want to use stuff with a BSD or MIT license, or stuff written by programmers who don't worship Stallman?  Well, it's probably not delivered directly with Fedora, but can quickly be found in the rpmfusion repository.

I'm sure it reads like I'm down on Fedora, but I'm actually very anxious for F21 to be released.  Aside from getting to see how many times the installation procedure breaks and needs to be redone (a common theme for me since FC8), I'm looking forward to the 3.x release of the FlightGear flight simulator...and even wanting to test out wayland, but I'm sure I'll have to wait six months or so before wayland is supported in the proprietary NVidia drivers.  However, if like me, you NEED OpenGL, then what are you gonna use? nouvea?  I THINK NOT!

I complain about it, but in my mind Fedora is really the only game in town for my needs: bleeding edge code, literally thousands and thousands of packages I might need, and quickly integrated support for newer hardware.