[wplug] Kids can't use computers

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Sat Aug 16 09:25:35 EDT 2014

There's really nothing wrong with making computers easier to use, but you
have to consider what society's idea of that is and how it affects us as free
software enthusiasts.

Proprietary software is pushed in educational institutions, in the media,
and in many other places. Some of this may be because it's genuinely
easy to use. However, by accepting the sort of "convenience" proprietary
software offers, people have become accustomed to walled gardens,
proprietary licensing, DRM, and other onerous restrictions.

Most everyday people don't know that Linux exists. The Windows/Apple
duopoly on display at most computer retailers naturally leads people
toward either Microsoft or Apple, which is as pleasant a choice - to me - as
supporting one major political party or other.

Some people find the act of installing software too challenging. There is a
host of companies waiting in the wings with "service as a software
substitute" offerings that purport to take away the difficulty of, you know,
owning things. Proprietary software is bad enough; now many companies
are trying to phase out ownership.

Normalizing proprietary software and its restrictions, supporting lousy
companies like Apple & Microsoft, and phasing out ownership are not
hallmarks of progress. They work against the goals of the free software
community.

You can know enough to recognize these traps with a solid layman's
understanding of computers. This isn't something as trivial as cutting hair;
computers affects every area of our lives, which is why we should
acknowledge that technological illiteracy is a serious problem and that
many of society's answers aren't leading people in the right direction.

--
*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"Any fool can use a computer. Many do."/