[wplug] Kids can't use computers

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sat Aug 16 02:22:37 EDT 2014

Glad to see some of the responses on this article.  We shouldn't
be surprised when people are confused by computers and software,
as they (still) expose so much complexity to the user.  How many
of us would be able to operate a car with a manual choke and spark
advance?  (Heck, how many can use a manual transmission?  Without
synchromesh?)

Making using computers straightforward and intuitive is an ongoing,
long-term project that's not likely to be completed in my lifetime
or yours.  In the meantime, we have two choices.  We can be elitist
and mock those who don't know the difference between HTTP and
HTTPS, or have no idea what the DNS is, or can't tell when data is
being stored locally or remotely.

I would suggest the better option is to try to educate these
people, to attempt to reach them at their knowledge level.  Many,
probably most, will not come along.  That's OK; I know nothing
about pouring concrete, barbering, or digging a well, and have
somehow managed to survive without these skills.  But some *will*
be interested and engaged.  By bringing them into the Free
Software world we will gain extra effort to expand and improve.  I
see that as being a good thing.