[wplug] Kids can't use computers

WEBER, Lawrence lawrence.weber at ansaldo-sts.us
Wed Aug 13 13:06:59 EDT 2014

"Kids can't use computers"?  You should see the 8 to 14 year olds at First Lego League.  Every year I get to meet with these kids to judge their software.  It is impressive to have an 8-year-old walk through their C code.  They are writing C line following code that uses a variety of sensors to control a Lego robot's motors.  Sure, you could classify some as well above average intelligence but most are just normal kids, except they are motivated and have the opportunity to learn.

There are also kids putting together some interesting projects with RaspberryPi's.

I think it is up to us to provide encourage them and provide the opportunities.

-L. A. Weber