[wplug] Performance impact of using a Linux box as a wireless access point?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sat Apr 19 18:01:04 EDT 2014

Pat Barron <pat at lectroid.com> wrote:
> I'm just wondering if using the box as a wireless
> access point would introduce such a significant performance penalty that
> it would affect the ability to use it for anything else.

I'm speaking about this without the benefit of any actual
experience, but I would guess that there's not likely to be much
impact.  There should be little, if any, processing that the host
has to do.  You'd have to do some testing I think to really know.

The more pressing issue is probably getting a working wireless
interface to use.  I seem to recall that there are many
(especially USB-connected) which are not capable of being used in
AP mode, or which may *claim* to be capable of AP mode but are
really not.  I would make sure I saw others posting about success
in using AP mode under Linux before buying a piece of hardware.