[wplug] Performance impact of using a Linux box as a wireless access point?

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Fri Apr 18 14:48:10 EDT 2014

So, it is generally possible to put a wireless LAN interface on a Linux
box into "access point" mode, where the box will basically function as a
wireless access point.  Does doing this have any significant performance
implications?  Does the answer to this question change significantly
where the wireless interface is a PCI card in a desktop PC, vs. a Mini
PCI card in a laptop, vs. a USB wireless interface (on a laptop, or a
desktop PC)?

I'm thinking about building a sort of "IT Infrastructure In A Box", to
have a machine I can bring to places (that don't necessarily have
Internet connectivity, or maybe even no network at all), to use for
demos, hands-on workshops and labs, etc.  In my vision of the world,
this box would serve as the wireless access point for a "demo network",
within this isolated network would provide DHCP, DNS, maybe some kind of
NAT routing if there's really an Internet connection wherever I'm using
it, etc.  As well as hosting whatever software I'm using for the
workshop or demo.  I know I could just bring a separate Linksys router
or something that's configured to be the wireless access point and do
DHCP, but having to drag around yet another piece of hardware would be
sort of a bummer.  I'm just wondering if using the box as a wireless
access point would introduce such a significant performance penalty that
it would affect the ability to use it for anything else.

--Pat.