[wplug] Rolling your own mail server the easy way

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Mon Sep 9 22:07:25 EDT 2013

Hey, everyone! I'm testing out my shiny new email server. I got it up
and running in hardly any time at all thanks to iRedMail [1], a
GPL-licensed collection of email components I found out about through
Prism-Break.org [2]. It's a real time-saver! It automatically installs
and configures Postfix, Dovecot, automatic ClamAV virus scanning,
PolicyD graylisting, Roundcube webmail, OpenLDAP, MySQL, and a bunch of
other stuff.

Yes, you could set up all of that on your own, but iRedMail does it in a
few minutes and also includes a control panel of its own called
iRedAdmin. You can use it to set up and manage user accounts. The "pro"
version, which is quite expensive, offers more functionality. To the
developer's credit, even the "pro" version is GPL-licensed just like the
rest of the components.

So all you really need to try running your own mail server is a domain
name, a VPS, and iRedMail - and a little extra instruction if you're
totally new to this, since 99% of tutorials out there assume you're
familiar with email server terminology. I might be able to help with
that.

Would any of you be interested in learning more about this at a meeting?
I know at least a few of you have said that you'd like to move away from
Gmail.
--

JUSTIN SMITH

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
done."
-Linus Torvalds

Links:
------