[wplug] Choosing a domain name

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Wed Sep 4 11:56:32 EDT 2013

I've stopped looking for work as a writer so I can begin my new career as a
sysadmin. Therefore, my old domain, js-wordsmith, no longer applies to me.
I'm trying to think of a new one that would be appropriate for a free
software enthusiast. Here are my top ideas so far:

bittech.co
openbyte.co or .us (.me is available as well, but that doesn't sound good)
libretech.us

What do you think of those? I want to avoid using my name in the domain
since I may offer products or services from it - nothing commercial, at least
initially, but I may put up public instances of free software I support such
as Seeks Project or XMPP.

I know it'd be better to use a dotcom, but the good ones all seem to be
taken. The same things goes for creative uses of foreign domains: dev.nl,
anyone?

--
*Justin S. Smith*
Vice chair/secretary, WPLUG Board of Directors

"Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us communists?
We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where they allow
only monopoly."
-Richard Stallman

--------
[1] http://www.wplug.org