[wplug] Need Advice Switching From Windows to Linux

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Mon Oct 28 12:08:52 EDT 2013

Besides saving money, you'll also retain control of your computer by
switching from Windows to Linux. The cloud computing envisioned by
companies like Google and Microsoft sounds great until you realize that it
takes away all control over your property. You have access to neither the
source code nor the software itself. You're 100% dependent on the whims
of a third party.

I recommend starting with Linux Mint's Cinnamon edition. Fedora is
unstable, and it's geared toward experienced users who know their way
around Linux already. The Mint community is helpful and will readily answer
your questions.

If you're looking for something that's specifically designed for the transition
from Linux to Windows, try ZorinOS. Like Mint, it's a derivative of Ubuntu,
but its designers have made it look as close to Windows as possible in
order to make getting acquainted with Linux even easier.

Regarding a desktop environment, XFCE and KDE represent opposite ends
of the spectrum. XFCE tries to keep the experience as basic as possible,
while KDE  gives you every option under the sun. Cinnamon is better for
your purposes because it strikes a good balance between simplicity and
customization. Use it for a while and see if you want to go more in one
direction or the other. I ended up moving to KDE because I wanted
absolute control over every aspect of the operating system.

The most popular email clients on Linux are Thunderbird, Evolution, and
Kontact. Of these, Thunderbird is more or less just an email client, while
Evolution and Kontact try to replicate Outlook's all-in-one functionality.

Mint includes a customized version of Thunderbird that contains additional
features such as calendar support. Try that and see how you like it. If you
need more features, install Evolution. If you're looking for the most
comprehensive email suite Linux has to offer, look no farther than Kontact.

After Oracle acquired the rights to OpenOffice, most of the community
developers left and started their own fork called LibreOffice. Use that.
OpenOffice is still maintained by the Apache Foundation, but it isn't up to
snuff with LibreOffice. Because of licensing issues, LibreOffice can
incorporate OpenOffice's improvements but OpenOffice can't do the same
with LibreOffice's code.

You may be able to run Quicken in Linux using a tool called Wine. Have you
ever heard of it? Wine is a compatibility program that enables Linux users
to run Windows applications without having to install Windows. Basically,
you install Wine and set up a big file that acts as a virtual C drive. Then,
you just run any Windows .EXE file and proceed as usual to install and use
it.

You can look up Wine application compatibility at http://appdb.winehq.org/

If you ever decide to use KDE, do note that some of the applications you
mentioned here, such as Firefox and OpenOffice/LibreOffice, aren't
designed to use the same visual interface as KDE, so they may look a little
strange. OpenSUSE releases special KDE-centric versions of these
programs. That's why I use OpenSUSE - it's basically "the" KDE distribution.

I hope this helps.

--

*Justin Smith*

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius
to understand the simplicity."
-Dennis Ritchie

> Hello.  I am new to the mailing list and need some advice about moving
from
> Windows to Linux.  The reason for the move is to avoid being trapped in
the
> coming Microsoft plan to change from one-time software purchase to
monthly
> fees.  I am a bit familiar with Linux having configured a Ubuntu system
> last year as a curiosity,
>
> My plan for Linux is to find a solid stable configuration and environment
> that I can keep current with a minimum of maintenance and upgrades.
>
> However, to make the change I need to find equivalently robust
applications
> on the Linux side.  My key concern is replacing Quicken.  I plan to try
> Gnucash and MoneyDance.  (I know that MoneyDance has a price.)
>
> My questions are:
> 1. What flavors of Linux ought I to consider?
> For a start, I was planning to look at Fedora 19 and Mint Cinnamon.
>
> 2. Same question for desktop environments?
> For a start, I was planning to look at KDE and XFCE but am interested in
> looking at any that are effective and different from what I am used to in
> Windows.
>
> 3. What are good replacements for Outlook?  I like the Outlook email and
> calendar.
>
> 4. What office programs or suites?
> I use MSOffice for Word, Excel and Access and write a fair amount of VBA
> code.  I assume that OpenOffice will be equivalent in functionality even if
> the implementation is different but have not looked into that yet.
>
> 5. What is the best replacement for Quicken?  Am I on track with
Gnucash and
> MoneyDance?
>
> 6. I already use some apps that should work the same under Linux -
Firefox,