[wplug] Enabling GNOME gdm on FreeBSD 9.2?

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Fri Oct 18 14:07:35 EDT 2013

I know it's not Linux, but it's in a similar spirit....  ;-)

Has anyone out there successfully enabled the GNOME gdm display manager
on FreeBSD 9.2?

What I have done so far is to install the GNOME "meta-package", and have
put the following into /etc/rc.conf:

dbus_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"

Even after doing this, the display manager doesn't start.

Am I missing something obvious?  I've never actually tried to use a
desktop environment on FreeBSD before, so I might just be completely
confused about what I'm supposed to do....

--Pat.