[wplug] Line-by-line input from stdin, from a bash script ?

Dan Martin dc.martin at verizon.net
Mon Oct 14 16:15:48 EDT 2013

 On 10/14/13, Pat Barron wrote:

On 10/14/2013 12:56 PM, G.Pitman wrote:
> Not sure I understand your goal entirely but would a fifo work?

Kind of a long story... But in short, when the script is invoked, it's
stdin is going to be attached to a socket, and the script is fired off
from xinetd. (And, of course, stdout is a network connection too...)

What I want to do is basically:

1) Read line from stdin (which is really a network connection)
2) Do something with it
3) Repeat as necessary...

Of course, what I "do with it" in step 2 (and what happens next...)
depends on what is previously read. I have found (by experimentation)
that I can't just read stdin until end of file and then process
everything in one go, because the other side doesn't actually close the
connection until it's told do so, so that just hangs forever, waiting
for further instructions....)
=======

netcat  ?

Good luck,
Dan
=======

I'll tell you exactly what I'm doing, so you can all laugh at me...
(This is strictly a hobby project at the moment, it doesn't have to make
sense...) I'm trying to implement a (reasonably complete) web server in
shell scripts....

--Pat.