[wplug] Reminder: WPLUG board nominations tomorrow

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Fri Oct 11 17:44:03 EDT 2013

Hey, all. This is just a friendly reminder that we'll be holding
nominations for the WPLUG Board of Directors at our general user meeting
tomorrow. See the wiki page [1] for details.

There seem to be some misconceptions about what exactly is involved with
serving on the board, so I'd like to clear them here in case I'm not
able to attend.

To be honest, there isn't a tremendous amount of work involved with
serving on the board. Most of us on the current board enjoy being
active, so we give presentations, plan activities, and so on. Strictly
speaking, none of that is required. Our committees are responsible for
the "grunt work."

The best reason I can think of for running is to get involved with the
Pittsburgh technology community. If you're looking for a more practical
reason, this is also something you can point out to potential employers.
Don't laugh; it works. I just started looking for work as a Linux
sysadmin, and I'm regularly asked about what I do to help maintain our
WPLUG.org VPS.

And finally, this isn't a binding commitment. If you run out of time to
participate, you're welcome to step down. In fact, that's what happened
with our fifth board member earlier this year - he decided that other
things needed his attention, and it's been the four of us - Pat, me,
Terry, and Joe - since then.

That's all for now. If any of you have any additional questions, feel
free to ask. See you tomorrow...maybe.
--

JUSTIN SMITH

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
done."
-Linus Torvalds

Links:
------