[wplug] Data caps :(

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Mon Oct 7 16:28:47 EDT 2013

On 10/06/2013 7:59 AM, Justin Smith wrote:
> I haven't heard good things about DSL, but it's worth looking into.

I have DSL through Megapath (formerly Speakeasy), over Verizon's
copper.  It is an unadorned, raw bit pipe, with no caps or other
foolishness to deal with.  They also give me a static IP address (which
I like, and is the primary reason I haven't switched to something
else).  I also like them because they treat me like an intelligent
person who knows things, and on the few occasions when I've had to
engage their support, it's been a relatively pleasant experience.

The downside is ... well, it's ADSL, so it's slow compared to other home
Internet options (1.5 Mbps download, 768 Kbps upload).  It is what it is....

(The ironic thing is, that is T1 speed, and 15 years ago I would have
given my eye teeth to have that kind of network bandwidth at home - I
remember talking to the director of a local regional network in this
area about that long ago, telling him that there should be some way for
individuals to have T1 lines in their homes, and having him tell me that
he pretty much thought I was out of my mind...  And now, T1 speed is
considered "slow"....   ;-) )

--Pat.