[wplug] Data caps :(

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Sat Oct 5 11:18:57 EDT 2013

While browsing the Web earlier this week, I was redirected to a landing
page from my ISP, Armstrong Cable, saying that I'd used roughly 80% of my
250GB monthly bandwidth allowance. Since there hasn't /been/ a monthly
bandwidth allowance up until this point, you can imagine how ticked off I
was.

Not only is Armstrong trying to pad its profits with data caps, it's trying to
lock people into paying for extra services by lowering the data cap by 50GB
for each service you /don't/ get through them. Want to cut the cord on
cable? Sorry, that's a 50GB penalty. Want to use an Ooma for phone
service? Sorry, that's another 50GB penalty.

Can anyone recommend an uncapped ISP that services the North Hills? I'm
looking for speeds approximately equal to what I receive now - 10 Mbps
down, 2 Mbps up.

--

*Justin Smith*

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius
to understand the simplicity."
-Dennis Ritchie