[wplug] Python code development

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Fri Nov 22 12:02:18 EST 2013

This may be much too heavyweight for what you want to do (and I will
admit to not being a Python person, so I could easily be talking out of
my hat...), but PyDev may also help you here, if you're comfortable with
Eclipse:

http://pydev.org

--Pat.

On 11/22/2013 11:35 AM, Matthew Zwier wrote:
> The ipython notebook is absolutely phenomenal for this.
>

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Bruce Adams <bruce.adams at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Will Python's built-in "reload" do what you want?
>>

>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/684171/how-to-re-import-an-updated-package-while-in-python-interpreter
>>
>> - Bruce
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013, at 10:57 AM, Mike Sussman wrote:
>>> Thank you for your response, Rod, but I am asking a MUCH simpler
>>> question than the one you answered.
>>>
>>> I am not trying to use Matlab code inside python or anything, I am just
>>> trying to transfer my comfortable and efficient approach to code
>>> development from Matlab to python.
>>>
>>> When I am using Matlab, I have an editor and the interpreter up in
>>> different windows (I use various flavors of Linux).  The editor contains
>>> a partially-competed version of some code.  I execute it in the Matlab
>>> interpreter by typing the name of the file.  Then I can examine the
>>> results in the interpreter and try writing a few more lines in the
>>> interpreter.  When I am happy with them, I copy them to the file and do
>>> it all again for more new code.
>>>
>>> If I bring up the python interpreter and import an existing file, I can
>>> check results in the interpreter and write new code, and copy it to the
>>> file.  BUT I cannot import that file again, so I must exit the python
>>> interpreter (ctrl-D) and start the interpreter again from the command