[wplug] Python code development

Rod Person rodperson at rodperson.com
Fri Nov 22 10:18:15 EST 2013

On 11/22/2013 10:04 AM, Mike Sussman wrote:
> I am an experienced Matlab programmer and am beginning to use python for
> some scientific applications.  My question is how python programmers do
> their work.
>
> When I develop new code in Matlab, I have the editor open and, as I add to
> the code, I can quickly test the new additions with a single command that
> re-reads my file and tests the new code.  I do not know how to do the same
> thing in python.  If I am writing a new .py file, I either have to import
> it or I have to exit python and start python again.  Either of these seems
> to take a few annoying seconds longer than I would like to wait.  Is there
> a better strategy?
>
> -----------------------
> Mike Sussman

I'm not sure what you mean by "exit python and start again", unless you
are making changes to python itself or possibly CGI programming, but I'm
not familiar with making Matlab code with Python.

Anyway in a *nix environment, I use FreeBSD, I usually have a 2nd
terminal open that I can run the make script of the python code on
working on if needed. This is if I'm using an editor such as geany.

If I'm using Sypder or Komodo IDE, they both allow for the running and
debugging of Python code directly.

--
Rod

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand.
   -Thucydides
       History of The Peloponnesian War, 432BC