[wplug] [wplug-announce] Tiny Tiny RSS from WPLUG - ready for testing!

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Wed May 8 20:43:56 EDT 2013

Good evening, everyone!

A little over a month ago, Google announced that Google Reader, its popular RSS feed
aggregator, will be shut down on July 1st as part of its in-house "spring cleaning.” Users
were furious; petitions with thousands of signatures were circulated. Google+ was flooded
with complaints.

And in the end, it didn’t do them any good. That’s what happens when you rely on
proprietary software.

We on the WPLUG Board thought it would be helpful to provide an open alternative to
Google Reader as a courtesy to our members. Tiny Tiny RSS[1], a GPL-licensed RSS
aggregator developed by Andrew Dolgov, was our choice. Andrew has shown an incredible
commitment to improving his work, and there is a small but dedicated community of
volunteers that writes extensions and themes.

You can import all of your Google Reader data[2] into Tiny Tiny RSS. You can also export
data as an OPML file if you want to take it somewhere else. There’s a plugin that enables
Google Reader’s hotkeys, and the TT-RSS community is developing Google Reader themes
for even the most discerning Reader refugee.

I spent yesterday evening and past of this morning setting up Tiny Tiny RSS on our server. I
did some preliminary checks to make sure that nothing is broken, but it needs more
extensive testing. That’s where you come in.

For a limited time, WPLUG’s Tiny Tiny RSS installation at http://www.wplug.org/tt-rss[3] is
open to the general public. If you’d like an account, just send me an email with your
requested username. I’ll walk you through the basics if you need help getting started.

After TT-RSS has been sufficiently tested - say, by our Raspberry Pi workshop on the 18th -
access will be restricted to members only. Don’t worry about losing your data if you’re a
non-member; like I said before, you can export it and take it with you.

But I hope that you’ll consider joining WPLUG. $20 a year is a bargain for a hosted RSS
reader. In addition to that, you’re getting an email alias and access to several other
member services that we’ll be launching over the course of the year.

--
*Justin S. Smith*
Vice chair/secretary, WPLUG Board of Directors

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done."
-Linus Torvalds

--------
[1] http://www.tt-rss.org
[2] http://www.dataliberation.org/google/reader