[wplug] OT: Emacs, regular expressions and syntax highlighting

Douglas Green diego96 at mac.com
Fri Mar 29 10:30:52 EDT 2013

Hi list-

OT topic, but I thought there might be one or two emacs users in the linux crowd.
I'm trying to customize emacs for my purposes- specifically I want to make my documents more "skimmable" by highlighing specific words. I'm stuck right now because I can't figure out how to write a regular expression that will highlight all instances of "foo" but not highlight "no foo" or "no evidence of foo".

Any ideas, or perhaps alternate emacs packages to use (other than writing regular expressions for syntax highlighting)?
Thanks!
-Doug