[wplug] DLNA transcoding

Drew from Zhrodague drewzhrodague at zhrodague.net
Fri Jun 28 09:55:49 EDT 2013

On 6/27/13 9:03 PM, Justin Smith wrote:
> I’ve got some H264 Hi10p (10-bit) videos stored on my server. I also have a
> Raspberry Pi (running XBMC) that I like to stream videos to via DLNA, but
> the Pi can’t handle Hi10p decoding; it only has hardware acceleration for
> the standard H264 8-bit profile.
>
> Is there a DLNA server that can transcode H264 Hi10p to 8-bit? I know it’s
> possible to transcode frmo one file format to another, but I haven’t been
> able to find a definitive answer on video profiles.
>
> If not, I guess I’ll just re-encode everything.

	I'm using MythTV, and have to do a similar procedure to re-encode my
recordings such that I can play them on my Roku. Luckily, I already have
this server, and it already has things like ffmpeg, mencoder, etc.

	If you already have a server running, it should be easy enough to
bulk-encode them into the new format. It might take a while for a
Raspberry Pi to do this sort of thing - you'll need some horsepower
behind it. I'm not aware of a standalone device that will do this.

--

Drew from Zhrodague
lolcat divinator
drew at zhrodague.net