[wplug] [wplug-announce] Tiny Tiny RSS up and running

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Fri Jun 21 11:59:04 EDT 2013

Good morning, everyone!

Several months ago, Google announced that it was discontinuing Google
Reader, its wildly popular RSS news aggregator. In response, I set up a
private instance[1] of Tiny Tiny RSS, a GPL-licensed news aggregator, on
WPLUG.org and invited the general public to help test it. You can read my
original announcement here.[2]

I believe we've finally gotten all the kinks worked out. Updating to version
1.8 has fixed the speed problems, and the sharing plugins no longer
mysteriously disappear. I've also installed a couple of new themes,
including one based on Google Reader.

WPLUG's Tiny Tiny RSS server is finished. It will become a member-only
service from this point forward. If you were one of the non-members who
helped us test it, I will contact you with instructions on how to join WPLUG.
Dues are just $20 for a year of membership; you'd easily pay more than
that for a year of hosted RSS service. so Joining WPLUG is a good deal.

Since Tiny Tiny RSS is GPL software, you could conceivably install your own
instance. I want to set our server apart by offering to set up plugins for
custom keymaps or sharing services that you'd like to use. If I can't find an
existing plugin, I'll try to write one myself.

Send me an email at vicechair at wplug.org[3] if you want to sign up for Tiny
Tiny RSS or you need help using it.

--
*Justin S. Smith*
Vice chair/secretary, WPLUG Board of Directors

/"If you still don't like it, that's OK: that's why I'm boss. I simply know better
than you do."/
-Linus Torvalds

--------
[1] http://www.wplug.org/tt-rss